Our History

A Timeline of the Davis-Shai House and its revival


1861 - Built by Jackson Davis along the Ohio and Erie Canal

1945 - Purchased at Sheriff sale by Dr. Joseph Park Shai

1960 - Deed transferred to Dr.Joseph Park Shai II

1965 - Estate sold for development and the house was donated to the city of Heath

1996 - Moved to its present location on April 16th

1997 - First historic event hosted on July 3rd with the burial of a time capsule

1999 - A $500,000 State Capital Improvement Grant received by the City of Heath transformed the home into a cultural center

2000 - Davis-Shai House proclaimed a historical landmark

2000 - Heath Community Arts Council formed to manage the facility and conduct fundraising

2001 - Davis-Shai House received the Ohio Parks and Recreation Outstanding Facility Award

2002 - Davis-Shai House received the Downtown Ohio Inc, Heritage OHIO Preservation and Revitalization Award

2006 - Five Star Celebration attended by 160 people commemorated the 5 year anniversary of the Davis-Shai House

2006 - A $300,000 State Capital Improvement Grant received by the Heath Community Arts Council paved the way for the expansion of the facility

2008 - Two ordinances passed by the city of Heath to meet legal requirements for expansion and to ensure the Davis-Shai House would operate as a cultural center until 2033

2008 - A $725,000 State Capital Improvement Grant received by the Heath Community Arts Council for the expansion

2009 - $1.6 million expansion of the Davis-Shai House began in late summer

2010 - Won the $250,000 national Pepsi Refresh Everything grant and planted phase 1 of the Legacy Garden

2010 - Grand re-opening celebration held September 17th-18th

2011 - Tornado damaged the west side of historic second floor

2015 - First annual Heath Oktoberfest held as a fundraiser for the Heath Community Arts Council